Taking Fear Out of the Mortgage Process
Buyer confidence and high demand remain strong in Westchester County while our local home inventory remains historically low. Purchasing a home is one of the largest financial decisions most will make in their lifetime. This blog’s main purpose is to help educate the consumer on the real estate process and to provide up-to-date information on our local market conditions.
Today I would like to talk to you about The Mortgage Process
A considerable number of potential buyers shy away from jumping into the real estate market due to their uncertainties about the buying process. A specific cause for concern tends to be mortgage qualification.
For many, the mortgage process can be scary, but it doesn’t have to be!
In order to qualify in today’s market, you’ll need a down payment (the average down payment on all loans last year was 5%, with many buyers putting down 3% or less), a stable income, and good credit history.
Throughout the entire home buying process, you will interact with many different professionals who will all perform necessary roles. These professionals are also valuable resources for you.
Once you’re ready to apply, here are 5 easy steps that Freddie Mac suggests to follow:
Find out your current credit history & score
– even if you don’t have perfect credit, you may already qualify for a loan. The average FICO Score® of all closed loans in September was 731, according to Ellie Mae.
Start gathering all of your documentation
– income verification (such as W-2 forms or tax returns), credit history, and assets (such as bank statements to verify your savings).
Contact a professional
– your real estate agent will be able to recommend a loan officer who can help you develop a spending plan, as well as help you determine how much home you can afford.
Consult with your lender
– he or she will review your income, expenses, and financial goals in order to determine the type and amount of mortgage you qualify for.
Talk to your lender about pre-approval
– a pre-approval letter provides an estimate of what you might be able to borrow (provided your financial status doesn’t change) and demonstrates to home sellers that you are serious about buying!
Do your research, reach out to professionals, stick to your budget, and be sure that you are ready to take on the financial responsibilities of becoming a homeowner.
To assure that you make the best possible decisions, it’s important that you have a knowledgeable agent on your side who is an expert in the local real estate market. Our goal is to provide you with as much information as needed to make well-informed decisions throughout your home purchase or home sale in Westchester County, New York.
To Search ALL Westchester County Real Estate Listings, visit www.Ragette.com
To reach Ralph, please call (or text) 914-202-1101 or send an email to Ralph@WestchesterHomeAdvisor.com